Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ah the married life

The girl I work with named Yvonne was married on the 2nd. I didn't go to the wedding. I had something else to do, which I could have cancelled but I was still bent outta shape about the shower and how that was handled. Anyway. She was gone for a week on her honeymoon. Her and Jason, Mr Newlywed, went on a cruise to Mexico.

She was due to come back Thursday the 14th but she showed up on the 12th because she missed us. Okay. Thursday I worked in close enough proximity to hear all the details of the cruise, the food, the sex, the dancing, the people there, etc. Yesterday, a full 13 days after she tied the knot and one day after blissfully sharing TMI, she came back from her lunch break in tears. WTF?!

She was bawling to Yolanda, who was just standing there chewing her gum. Yvonne's shoulders were shaking, her face wet, geez! I went to Yvonne, put arms around her and patted her back and made cooing noises and told her to take deep breaths, come on sweetie, deeper.... relax, relax, calm down, you're okay now, I have you, deep breaths....

It turns out that she and her new husband had a fight over a friend of his, who presumably has been a poor influence on Yvonne's hubby and the hubby, while defending his friend, PUSHED HIS NEW WIFE OF 13 DAYS INTO A WALL!!!!

Excuse me.

::deep breaths::

I am all about pre-marital counseling. I would never say I DO to someone without counseling. I want to know up front what the deal breakers are. Being someone's punching bag is a deal breaker.

I told Yvonne that when she goes home, she needs to tell Jason that physical violence is not tolerated. Arguing or fighting is fine as long as you use words to work it out. I then suggested to her that she tell him, "Jason, this was your one and only time to ever be physically abusive to me, for any reason. If it happens again I will call 911 and press charges. It better not ever happen again."

I told her she has to mean it when she says it.

She's nineteen.

No comments: