Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fuck ATT and the Wi-Fi they rode in on...

The nice man who lived next door to me moved. One day I will recount the way we met. He was being held up by thugs trying to steal his backpack but I thought he was being hit by a car on his bike. Anyway. His departure could be significant because he took his Wi-Fi minus the firewall with him. Where I live the city is going Internet Ready in order to attract new business and keep old businesses here. AT&T is the provider.

I hate writing this.

I was working online and was punted off. In order to resume my work I signed up for the AT&T Metro Free Internet service. I registered, filled out a ton of personal information and waited. Then I waited some more. It takes forever to log onto the Net with AMFIS. Some times the pages load, sometimes they never load. I hate it.

My little laptop has a Google toolbar. It measures about an inch and a half. My task bar at the bottom of the screen measures almost an inch. My whole screen is nine inches tall. AT&T, those fuckers, have a gobbed up the screen with a generous two inch banner for their crappy company. Now my nine inch screen is reduced to four and three eighths inch. When I click to open a new window, the banner spams that window too! Oh joy.

Today, right this moment in fact, I had to use the AMFIS to get online. The sign on page is fucked up. You may sign on but it takes about four or five retries to get the IE to kick on. I tried to play CP with my nephew but it just said, "Logging in ______" for like forty minutes and I had to give up.

I know having free Net should be a good thing but when the service in inferior I just want to scream. It took me four tries to get this POST to load and God knows whether it will publish on the first click.

I tried to address the problems by using their handy dandy AT&T Customer Support link on their banner. Guess what? All that did was pop up another banner saying the Certificate was not secured or some such shit. What does that mean? I don't know.

Perhaps my city is too cheap to provide reliable Internet services to the companies it is trying to attract.

(Small detail - adjacent to the SAVE NOW button under this window there is an Exclamation Point in a yellow danger triangle and it is saying "Autosave FAILED". )

No comments: